WHAT IS MONITORING AND EVALUATION?
Are you considering M&E for your organization? Before investing in M&E, we would like to review the basics of M&E for beginners. For the month of March 2018, we will review what M&E is and how M&E can be applied. This will guide organizations in establishing when and how to use M&E.
What is Monitoring: monitoring is the systematic and routine collection of information from projects and programs for the following purposes:
- To learn from experiences to improve practices and activities in the future.
- To have internal and external accountability of the resources used and the results obtained.
- To take informed decisions on the future of the initiative.
- To promote empowerment of beneficiaries of the initiative.
What is Evaluation: evaluation is assessing a completed project or phase of the project that has been completed. Based on the DAC criteria for evaluating development assistance, evaluation helps to draw conclusions about five main aspects of any given project,
- Its relevance – The extent to which the aid activity is suited to the priorities and policies of the target group, recipient and donor.
- Its effectiveness – A measure of the extent to which an aid activity attains its objectives.
- Its efficiency
- It impact and,
We will discuss these aspects in detail in the course of this blog series
M&E helps project implementer s to:
- Fully identify the scope of the project at hand.
- Data collection and management: Identify the types of data or data collection methods and data management. The project implementers thus therefore plan on how data will be collected and managed to ensure a successful M&E system.
- Data analysis: – Identify who will analyze the data and how the data will be analysed. This includes identifying technology suitable for the analysis of your data and ensuring analysis feeds into the kM&E is applied by following a series of steps and procedures:
- Identifying the purpose and scope of the M&E system: To successfully apply M&E the project implemey research questions.
- Reporting and utilization: Identify how you will represent the key findings and how the findings will be used to inform programme/project implementation. This include mapping out stakeholders and outlining a dissemination and utilization plan.
The series continues new updates every week. Stay with us as we inform you on what M&E really is.